In partnership with the Pacific Islands Institute, all USC students are invited to learn about issues of sovereignty & explore the history of Hawaii!
Alternative Break: Hawai’i provides student with an intimate, cross-cultural immersion experience on the island of Oahu. Participants explore Native Hawaiian history, culture, and the struggle for sovereignty through service-learning, dialogue, and reflection.
- Service: Volunteer at taro gardens and ancient fish ponds
- Cultural tours to historic sites, including North Shore & Waimea Valley
- Native Hawaiian history & culture
- Reflection & discussion
- Learn about the sovereignty struggle, activism & more!
2019-2020 Application Form
Deadline: Friday, September 27
2019-2020 Travel Details & Application Process
Dates: January 6 – 11, 2020
Location of hotel: Waikiki, Oahu, Hawai’i
2020 Cost (for information purposes): $1295
Includes: lodging, daily continental breakfast, transportation, activities fees and some meals
Air fare IS NOT included in program fees.
Participants can book flight with APASS, once application is accepted.
Participants can book flight independently. Participants must arrive before program start, and depart after program end.
Fundraising opportunities are available and encouraged.
2018 Application Timeline
- Wednesday, September 19 at 9:00am: Applications Due
- Monday, September 24 – Friday, September 28: Interviews in STU 410
- Monday, October 1 – Selection Notification (by Email)
- Friday, October 5 – $600 non-refundable deposit due to STU 410 (1st payment)
- Friday, October 26 – $710 non-refundable deposit due to STU 410 (2nd payment)
- Friday, November 16 – TBD non-refundable payment due to STU 410 (Flight payment)
- TBD (Week of Nov 12-16) – Mandatory Pre-trip Discussion #1 in STU 410
- TBD (Week of Nov 26-30) – Mandatory Pre-trip Discussion #2 in STU 410
- Thursday, December 13 – Tuesday, December 18, 2018 – AWB Hawai’i Trip