In partnership with the Pacific Islands Institute, all USC students are invited to learn about issues of sovereignty & explore the history of Hawaii!
Alternative Spring Break: Hawai’i provides student with an intimate, cross-cultural immersion experience on the island of Oahu. Participants explore Native Hawaiian history, culture, and the struggle for sovereignty through service-learning, dialogue, and reflection.
- Service: Volunteer at taro gardens and ancient fish ponds
- Cultural tours to historic sites, including North Shore & Waimea Valley
- Native Hawaiian history & culture
- Reflection & discussion
- Learn about the sovereignty struggle, activism & more!
2017 Application Form
Applications due November 11, 2016.
2017 Travel Details & Application Process
Dates: Sunday, March 12 – Friday, March 17, 2017
Location of hotel: Waikiki, Oahu, Hawai’i
2017 Cost (for information purposes): $1,250.00 per person
Includes: lodging, daily continental breakfast, transportation, activities fees and some meals
Air fare IS NOT included in program fees.
Participants can book flight with APASS for an additional fee.
Participants can book flight independently. Participants must arrive before program start, and depart after program end.
Fundraising opportunities are available and encouraged.
2017 Application Timeline
- Friday, November 4 at 5pm: Applications Due
- Monday, November 7 – Friday, November 18: Interviews in STU 410
- Monday, November 21 – Selection Notification (by Email)
- Monday, November 28 – $500 non-refundable deposit due to STU 410 (1st payment)
- Wednesday, December 14 – $375 non-refundable deposit due to STU 410 (2nd payment)
- Friday, January 20 – $375 non-refundable deposit due to STU 410 (3rd payment)
- TBD (Spring) – Mandatory Pre-trip Discussion #1 in STU 410
- TBD (Spring) – Mandatory Pre-trip Discussion #2 in STU 410
- Sunday, March 12 – Friday, March 17, 2016 – ASB Hawai’i Trip