In partnership with the Pacific Islands Institute, all USC students are invited to learn about issues of sovereignty & explore the history of Hawaii!
Alternative Spring Break: Hawai’i provides student with an intimate, cross-cultural immersion experience on the island of Oahu. Participants explore Native Hawaiian history, culture, and the struggle for sovereignty through service-learning, dialogue, and reflection.
- Service: Volunteer at taro gardens and ancient fish ponds
- Cultural tours to historic sites, including North Shore & Waimea Valley
- Native Hawaiian history & culture
- Reflection & discussion
- Learn about the sovereignty struggle, activism & more!
2019 Application Form
Applications due: Check back in Fall 2018!
2019 Travel Details & Application Process
Dates: Check back in Fall 2018!
Location of hotel: Waikiki, Oahu, Hawai’i
2019 Cost (for information purposes): TBA
Includes: lodging, daily continental breakfast, transportation, activities fees and some meals
Air fare IS NOT included in program fees.
Participants can book flight with APASS for an additional fee.
Participants can book flight independently. Participants must arrive before program start, and depart after program end.
Fundraising opportunities are available and encouraged.
2018 Application Timeline
- Monday, November 8 at 5pm: Applications Due
- Monday, November 13 – Friday, November 17: Interviews in STU 410
- Monday, November 20 – Selection Notification (by Email)
- Monday, November 27 – $500 non-refundable deposit due to STU 410 (1st payment)
- Friday, January 12, 2018 – $475 non-refundable deposit due to STU 410 (2nd payment)
- Friday, February 2, 2018 – $375 non-refundable deposit due to STU 410 (3rd payment)
- TBD (Spring) – Mandatory Pre-trip Discussion #1 in STU 410
- TBD (Spring) – Mandatory Pre-trip Discussion #2 in STU 410
- Sunday, March 11 – Friday, March 16, 2018 – ASB Hawai’i Trip